Ubuntu is a Linux operating system used in millions of of desktops, netbooks and servers.
Ubuntu has anything a user might want and will work with the existing PC files, printers, cameras and MP3 players.
The distribution also has access to hundreds of free applications through its Ubuntu Software Center and has a a large repository.
Here are some key features of "Ubuntu":
· Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates.
· Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of companies around the world.
· Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.
· Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· There is no longer a traditional CD-sized image, DVD or alternate image, but rather a single 800MB Ubuntu image that can be used from USB or DVD. Users who previously installed using LVM or full-disk encryption via the alternate CD will find that these installation targets are supported by the consolidated image in 12.10.
· Update Manager has been streamlined and renamed Software Updater. It also now checks for updates when launched.
· A new X.org stack has been introduced which includes xserver 1.13 candidate versions, mesa 9.0, and updated X libs and drivers. The new xserver provides improved multiseat support, better smooth scrolling, and a large variety of bug fixes. The proprietary -nvidia driver now supports the RANDR standard for monitor configuration.
· Compiz with GLES support landed, making unity-3d work again on the pandaboard.
· Unity was updated to version 6.4 including support for dash previews and coverflow view.
Other notable updates include:
· Jockey has been deprecated in favor of a "Drivers" component in software-properties.
· Libreoffice was updated to 3.6.1 with built-in menubar & HUD support without needing a separate plugin.
· GNOME has been updated to 3.5.90 for most of the components.