Ubuntu is a Debian based Linux distribution. Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distribution in the world.
Welcome to Hardy Heron a.k.a Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
Here are some key features of "Ubuntu":
· Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates.
· Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of companies around the world.
· Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.
· Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.
Ubuntu is a community developed operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. Whether you use it at home, at school or at work Ubuntu contains all the applications you'll ever need, from word processing and email applications, to web server software and programming tools.
Ubuntu is and always will be free of charge. You do not pay any licensing fees. You can download, use and share Ubuntu with your friends, family, school or business for absolutely nothing.
We issue a new desktop and server release every six months. That means you'll always have the the latest and greatest applications that the open source world has to offer.
Ubuntu is designed with security in mind. You get free security updates for at least 18 months on the desktop and server. With the Long Term Support (LTS) version you get three years support on the desktop, and five years on the server. There is no extra fee for the LTS version, we make our very best work available to everyone on the same free terms. Upgrades to new versions of Ubuntu are and always will be free of charge.
Everything you need on one CD, which provides a complete working environment. Additional software is available online.
The graphical installer enables you to get up and running quickly and easily. A standard installation should take less than 25 minutes.
Once installed your system is immediately ready-to-use. On the desktop you have a full set of productivity, internet, drawing and graphics applications, and games.
On the server you get just what you need to get up and running and nothing you don't.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Add support for using the contents of the CD image on a USB device (#234185)
· Support installing grub to partitions containing JFS filesystems (#185878)
· Fix the check for the lilo-installer/skip preseed option (#466769)
· Fix handling of SMB/CIFS shares on the desktop (#207072)
· Fix firefox crash in NSSRWLock_LockRead_Util() (#236853)
· Backport pidgin support for version 16 of the Yahoo! Messenger Protocol. The old authentication mechanism was disabled, meaning that it can no longer be used for signing in to Yahoo! services (#389322)
· Fix vblade init script failure because pid file is not created properly (#223387)
· Fix freeradius 'reload' action so that it doesn't just stop the daemon (#252686)
· Use stack guard randomization patch from Intrepid glibc to eliminate use of a static sentinel (#275493)
· Include updated daylight savings time rules for Bangladesh, Fiji, and Argentina (#502110, #486351, #453165)