Ubuntu GNOME is an open source Linux operating system based on the popular Ubuntu distribution and the GNOME desktop environment.
Ubuntu GNOME features the pure GNOME 3 desktop experience, and it includes support for Ubuntu's software repositories.
- In coordination with the Ubuntu Desktop Team, we have decided to stick with GNOME 3.6 for Ubuntu 13.04.
- The GNOME3 PPA offers an early look at GNOME 3.8 for Ubuntu. Please note that you need to do a dist-upgrade instead of a regular upgrade or else GDM or GNOME Shell won't run after upgrading. In case of problems, please make yourself familiar with ppa-purge before using the GNOME3 PPAs.
- There are some additional GNOME 3.8 apps in the GNOME3 Staging PPA but these apps have known bugs, some of which are serious or critical bugs.
- Default apps have changed since Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10:
- Firefox instead of GNOME Web (Epiphany)
- Ubuntu Software Center and Update Manager instead of GNOME Software (gnome-packagekit)
- LibreOffice instead of Abiword and Gnumeric
- The other apps are still available for install; they just aren't included in the default install.