PostgreSQL is a fully featured object-relational database with many enterprise features: ACID transactions, inheritance, unicode and strong support for the SQL-92 standard including subqueries, views, outer joins, foreign keys, sequences and triggers. It is also highly extensible and allows users to define internal functions in C, C++, Java, Perl, TCL, Python, Ruby, PHP and PL/PgSQL.
In a comparison with MySQL, PostgreSQL is more fully featured and consistent, and has better support for large multi-processor environments.
The TurnKey PostgreSQL appliance is an easy-to-use, lightweight, installable live CD of the PostgreSQL relational database engine which can run on real hardware in addition to most types of virtual machines.
It features a MacOS X themed web management interface and a new configuration and installation console written in Python.
It is based on Ubuntu 8.04.1 Hardy LTS and is designed to provide users with a pre-integrated, auto-updating, turn-key operating system environment that is carefully built from the ground up with the minimum components needed to run PostgreSQL with maximum usability, efficiency and security.
TurnKey PostgreSQL is part of TurnKey Linux, an opensource project that aims to develop high-quality opensource software appliances that are easy to use, easy to deploy, and free. Our motto is "everything that can be easy, should be easy!"
Here are some key features of "TurnKey PostgreSQL Live CD":
· auto-updated daily with latest security patches
· easy to use configuration console and web management interface
· minimal footprint - includes only minimum components needed
· packaged as installable Live CD that runs on real machines and VMs
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Installed security updates.
· Enabled etckeeper garbage collection by default.
· Upgraded to latest inithooks version (adhoc re-initialization via turnkey-init)
· VMWare build: run vmware-config-tools.pl on first boot
· Amazon EC2 EBS build: support resizing of root filesystem