TOSS is a project developed at Computer Science and Engineering Department of Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai. The core of Ubuntu has been retained with minimal changes to the default Ubuntu Kernel enabling users to retain its more popular and useful features while giving you a completely different look and feel. Despite the eye-candy offered with a variety of user-friendly interfaces , TOSS mainly targets student developers like ourselves! We offer you gcc-build-essential,OpenSSL,PHP,Java,gEda,xCircuit,KLogic,KTechlab and a variety of essential engineering software for developers which means you can storm into Engineering application development right away without undergoing the hassle of Installation/Initialisation -and all this in a cool environment!
TOSS is mainly aimed at Engineers and engineering application developers.Apart from the excellent GUI and eye candy that TOSS offers, its other main scoring point is the variety of engineering software that it supports.By default TOSS has the following software pre-installed.
gEDA - An ECAD (electronic CAD) or EDA (electronic design automation) application suite. gEDA is mostly oriented towards printed circuit board design (as opposed to integrated circuit design).
Xcircuit -A generic drawing program tailored for making circuit diagrams.The graphical interface attempts to maintain consistency between X11 window rendering and the pure PostScript output.xcircuit is mouse, menu and keyboard driven. The emphasis is on single character macros.
NASM - The Netwide Assembler is 80x86 assembler designed for portability and modularity.NASM is an 80x86 assembler designed for portability and modularity. The project supports a range of object file formats including Linux a.out and ELF, COFF, Microsoft 16-bit OBJ and Win32. It will also output plain binary files.
Kicad - An open source (GPL) software for the creation of electronic schematic diagrams and printed circuit board artwork.Kicad is a set of four softwares and a project manager.With the project manager, Kicad, you can choose or create a project and launch Eeschema, Pcbnew.This electronic workbench is free of charges and is open source (GPL). It is useful for everybody working in electronic design (schematic diagrams and Printed Board up to 16 layers).
QCAD - A multi-platform 2D CAD system.It is aimed at mechanical engineers as an alternative for non-free CAD systems presently in use by them.The interface is user-friendly and highly useful for technical and engineering use.
Electric - Electrical CAD system.Electric is a sophisticated electrical CAD system that can handle many forms of circuit design, including custom IC layout (ASICs), schematic drawing, hardware description language specifications, and electro-mechanical hybrid layout.
KLogic - An application for building and simulating digital circuits easily.It provides an easy way for building circuits containing standard components like AND, OR, XOR and flipflops like RS and JK. In order to build more complex, more structured and reuseable circuits, sub circuits can be used.The simulation is running permanently per default while building your circuits.Specially available features include Single stepping simulation , Karnaugh graphical analysis method ,Signal flow of components, a tuneable delay.
KTechlab - Open source electronic design automation software. It supports real-time electronics simulation and PIC microcontroller debugging.
Compilers and Interpreters - For software engineers, we have the standard gcc compiler for C , g++ for C++, gcj compiler and java interpreter for Java, Perl and Python interpreters built in.
Apart from these, for day-to day use we have Firefox web browser,VLC media player,Rhythmbox audio player,Kopete IM client,Picasa image viewer,Google desktop search and much,much more!
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Based on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope,
· Kernel:Linux 2.6.28,
· Gnome 2.26 comes with noticeable improvements in PulseAudio support, screen management, file-sharing, and disc burning.
· Better notifications, faster boot times, enhanced suspend-and-resume and better switching between Wi-Fi and 3G connections.
· The Ubiquity installer features graphical improvements and support for the ext4 filesystem.
· Now works with lesser memory usage in live mode(256 MB minimum).
· Fixed the "user authentication failed" problem.
· Restricted drivers now compatible with latest Graphics cards.
· Exaile Music Player replaces Audacious as default music player.
· Mozilla Thunderbird is now the default mail client.
· Empathy is now the default IM client replacing Pidgin.
4 New Apps:
· TOSSLaunch, a simple launcher
· With TOSSync, TOSS now has support for automatic Folder Synchronisation.Initially intended to be a frontend of rsync,it adds more features of its own such as backup to a destination folder and restore from it.
· An easy-to-use lightweight Desktop customizer and manager for the GNOME desktop.
· A simple backup tool to archive and restore the entire contents of your home directory.
· A CairoMenu style launcher menu for the GNOME desktop that replaces GnoMenu.
· "apt purge" was fixed.
· "apt source" now runs in user mode.
· Default GDM theme has been changed to Azenis.
· Default Icon set has been changed to Azenis.
· GnoMenu has been replaced by TOSSMenu.
· AWN, a dock-like bar which supports launchers, task lists, and third party applets is enabled by default.
· Text-only boot is replaced by Usplash based on Fingerprints theme for a better booting experience.