SoL - Server optimized Linux is a distribution optimized for use on servers.
With SoL-desktop you get a powerful Linux-Workstation with TrueType Fonts, multimedia tools, development kits and tons of other features.
SoL-desktop was released for those who also want to use SoL as desktop-system, without getting all the packages and compiling them.
The current stable version of SoL-desktop is 18.00 and was released June 10, 2004.
Here are some key features of "SoL":
· KDE 3.2 Desktop environment + security patches
· Gnome 2.4 Desktop environment
· Mozilla 1.8a1
· Video-Conference software: Gnomemeeting
· Gxine, MPlayer, Beep ,... multimedia players
· Drag & Drop CD-writing in Gnome 2.4!
· Latest KDevelop studio
· Communication software: licq,xchat,kopete,gaim,..
· UML: Umbrello, DIA
· Education Software
· ...and ~900 programms more
What's New in This Release:
· Fast and easy installation system with RAID wizard; supports network (over PXE) and DVD installation; optimized for modern CPU architectures; ready to use as XEN dom0 or domU; features QEMU mode to boot right from Windows; integrated server development workbench tools; full-featured diskless training; software: Nagios monitoring tools, IPVS, Heartbeat, DRBD, keppalived cluster tools, Xen 3.1.0 and QEMU 0.9.0, X.Org 7.2, Zope 2.10.3 application server, Apache 2.2.4 with PHP 5.2.1 extension, Enlightenment E17 desktop; MySQL 5.0.x and MySQL GUI Tools, PostgreSQL, Firebird and SQLite database backends....