Slackel is a Linux operating system and Live CD developed in Greece and based on Slackware Linux. This edition is built on top of the lightweight Openbox window manager.
There are two versions of the Slackel disc images offered: installation and live.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Includes the live kernel 3.8.8 and lots of updates from Slackware's 'Current' tree.
· Slackel Live 3.1 Openbox includes the Midori 0.4.9 web browser, Claws-Mail 3.8.1, Transmission, SpaceFm, Openjre-7u9, rhino, icedtea-web, Pidgin, Gftp, Wicd.
· Abiword, Gnumeric and ePDFviewer office applications are included. Whaawmp is the default movie player, Exaile 3.3.0 is the application to use for managing your music collection, Asunder Cd ripper, Bracero for writing CD/DVD's and more.
· In the graphics section Viewnior 1.3, Gimp 2.8.4 and Scrot the snapshot utility.
· It is very easy to put Slackel Live 3.1 Openbox in a usb thumbdrive. Scripts to do exactly that in any *nix or Windows system are available inside the Livedvd iso files.
· Same can be done with Liveclone from Live dvd environment.
· The Slackel Live Installer is included, so you can install Slackel in any of the three modes, Full, Basic or Core, the Live Persistence manager, so it is easy to save any changes you make during a live session and LiveClone, a graphical tool that makes it extremely easy for anyone to create new customized live images, with any additional software or settings. Liveclone has been updated to work with latest SaLT. SaLT has been updated also, to be able to boot from usb with latest live kernel's.
· Slackel Live 3.1 Openbox can also be booted through a network connection using PXE. You will find links for initrd files for PXE booting next to the iso images download links.