Slackel is a Linux operating system and Live CD developed in Greece and based on Slackware Linux.
There are two versions of the Slackel disc images offered: installation and live.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· A collection of four KDE iso images are immediately available, including 32-bit and 64-bit installation images as well as 32-bit and 64-bit live images that can be burned to a DVD or used with a USB drive. The software included in live images is exactly the same as that present in the standard Slackel kde 14.0 installation dvd's. The Slackel live DVD images includes the LiveKernel 3.2.29 (32 and 64 bit) and built using SaLT (Salix Live Technology).
· Slackel 14.0 includes the stable 14.0 tree of Slackware and KDE 4.8.5 accompanied by a very rich collection of KDE centric software. Linux kernel is 3.2.29. The Firefox 16.0.1 web browser, KMail and Ktorrent are the main networking applications included in this release, followed by Akregator, an RSS reader for KDE, Kopete, the KDE instant messenger and more. It comes also with Pidgin and Gftp. Wicd is used for setting up your wired or wireless networking connections.
· In the multimedia section Bangarang 2.1, Clementine 1.0.1, K3b 2.0.2 included. The Salix codecs installer application can be used, to quickly and easily install patent encumbered codecs to your system.
· A wide variety of office applications are included. Calligra Words, Calligra Stage, Calligra Tables are the main office applications present while there are many more like KOrganizer, KAddressBook and the Okular document viewer.
· In the graphics section Krita, Karbon, Gwenview, KColorChooser, KSnapshot.
· The graphical Salix system tools are present too, making administrative tasks easy for everyone. Package management, as always, is done using slapt-get and its graphical frontend Gslapt. Sourcery (from salix), graphical tool for managing and installing packages from SlackBuilds is included.
· On Slackel repositories can find also LibreOffice-3.6.2, Thunderbird 16.0.1, Gimp-2.8.2, inkscape, Μumble, Μurmur, Postfix, Dovecot and much more.
· It is very easy to put Slackel Live in a usb thumbdrive. Scripts to do exactly that in any *nix or Windows system are available inside the Livedvd iso files.
· Slackel Live can also be booted through a network connection using PXE. You will find links for initrd files for PXE booting next to the iso images download links.