Scientific Linux is an open source Linux release put together by various labs and universities around the world. Its primary purpose is to reduce duplicated effort of the labs, and to have a common install base for the various experiments.
The base Scientific Linux distribution is basically Enterprise Linux, recompiled from source.
Our main goal for the base distribution is to have everything compatible with Enterprise, with only a few minor additions or changes. An example of of items that were added are Pine, and OpenAFS.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· OpenAFS kernel module package has changed. With SL6.0 we started packaging the OpenAFS client's kernel module according to the guidelines from TUV's Driver Update Program.
· Due to unanticipated changes with the 6.3 kernel, we've had to revisit the process. With the 6.4 release, we modified the packaging to provide a dedicated build of the module for each minor SL release, instead of one module for all SL6 kernels. Since the EL kernel ABI is supposed to be kept stable within a minor release, this should avoid the problems some SL users experienced.
· For those updating their system using yum, this change should be completely transparent.
· This is now installed by default. You may remove it to return to the historical behavior.
· This now features an entry for 'sl-addons' repo. For more information on sl-addons please view the README file within the repo itself.
· Features a new ABI, this was a security errata so it should be available to earlier releases.
· Upstream has discontinued the matahari packages