Saline OS is a Linux distribution created in order to deliver a complete operating system based on Debian using XFCE as the graphical desktop environment.
Saline OS includes many things that most people using a Debian GNU/Linux based system would most likely want or need, but are not included or not setup on a default Debian install for various reasons.
This includes sgfxi for installing proprietary graphics drivers, Debian repositories that include software that does not conform to Debian's strict free software guidelines, WINE repositories, Remastersys backup utility, binary firmware for common wireless network cards, the Debian backports repository and a script to install potentially patent encumbered multimedia codecs with one command.
Here are some key features of "Saline OS":
· Fast and lightweight XFCE desktop environment means it is suitable for use on older/lower specification computers or netbooks.
· Simple and clean user interface.
· Good selection of default applications and plug-ins for those applications for added functionality. Includes Chromium Web Browser, Icedove Mail Reader, Pidgin Instant Messenger client, Osmo Personal Organizer, Calculator, Dictionary, Parole Video Player, SliM Login Manager, Rhythmbox Music Manager and Player, XFBurn CD and DVD Burning Utility, Fotoxx for easily touching up digital photos, Cheese Webcam Booth, Remastersys Backup Utility, Gedit text editor, Transmission Bittorrent Client and the GNU Image Manipulation Program for professional level digital image creation and editing.
· Live DVD: The operating system can be ran directly from the DVD without being installed and without modifying the machine it is being used on. This is much slower than running it as an installed system, but allows you to install from a graphical environment and test the operating system before committing to installing it. Can also be used as recovery disk for any i686 or AMD64 machine. Being a live dvd also makes it useful as a safe operating system envoirment for public computers.
· A user manual to help new users become familiar with Saline OS and Linux in general. The user manual also includes complete step by step instructions for setting up the system; including installing proprietary graphics drivers and restricted codecs.
· Based on Linux which has far better security features than other popular operating systems.
· Since it is a Debian based system, it includes APT and a graphical front-end called Synaptic which allows you to install thousands of free applications from a safe and trusted source. (Much like an app store)
· Based on Debian stable which is not released until it has undergone a long and thorough testing process, meaning there are less bugs for end users to contend with.
· Custom update button that installs all security updates and updated versions of applications directly from the official Debian backports repository after the developers of Saline OS have tested them.
· Sgfxi to download and install ATI and NVIDIA binary graphics drivers direct from the manufacturers website.
· Installrestrictedmultimedia a script to install potentially patent encumbered multimedia codecs quickly and easily.
· Button on the top panel to clear Chromium Web Browser cache and Adobe Flash cookies.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· LibreOffice is now the default office suite.
· Network Manager has now replaced WICD by default.
· The Remastersys grub restore utility has been replaced by grub-doctor, which was written almost entirely from scratch. Grub doctor can target the MBR of any flash drive, solid state disk or hard drive attached to the machine and is far more flexible and friendly.
· Installer has been patched to only offer to start Magix if you have an ATI or Nvidia card.
· AutoUpdate will now use the GTK graphical interface for configuring packages if they require user input.
· New wrapper for aptitude that will use the GTK graphical interface for configuring packages. Script is called saline-get and accepts all the same input that aptitude does, for example saline-get install package-name .
· Remastersys was patched to remove errors you may or may not have noticed while making backup disks. These errors weren't important, but were pretty ugly.
· Updated the user manual, including reformatting the German manual back to match the Spanish and English manuals.
· All security updates installed on the images.
· The installer will now check if you are running in safe mode and preserve the safe settings on the installed system.
· Clean will now clear the cache of Iceweasel, Firefox and Google Chrome. It will also clear the History on Google Chrome, support for clearing history in Firefox and Iceweasel is not currently included but might be added in the future. It is recommended if you use Firefox or Iceweasel to set it to not remember history if desired.