Puppy Linux 5.7.1
Add it to your Download Basket!
Add it to your Watch List!
What's new in Puppy Linux 5.7:
- Another pup in the Precise series! This pup comes in two flavours, one for older hardware and/or those on dialup Internet, the other for those with relatively modern hardware.
- The "retro flavour" is an upgrade path for those who have used our Wary Puppy, that targeted older PCs and analog modem dialup -- unlike most other Linux distributions, it continues to support a wide range of analog "winmodems". It also has two web browsers, SeaMonkey and Opera, the latter preferred for PCs with less than 256MB RAM.
- The "modern flavour" only has one browser, SeaMonkey, and forgoes most of the analog modem and true-SCSI drivers, and is the choice that will suit most people with a PAE-capable i686 CPU, no ISA cards, and 256MB or more RAM. You also get the benefit of a much smaller download, the live-CD .iso file is 155.7MB.
- There are many fixes, improvements and new features in this pup, and the release notes give details. In particular, there are exciting new features at the underlying "Woof-level", or infrastructure-level, such as the more efficient pup_event daemon and IPC mechanism, and support for running Internet applications as user 'spot'.
- LICENSE TYPE:
- GPL (GNU General Public License)
- OUR RATING:
- DEVELOPED BY:
- Barry Kauler
- USER RATING:
- ROOT \ Linux Distributions
Available for download as dual-arch, minimal Live CDs
Puppy Linux Precise comes in two editions, a standard release and a Retro flavor. As expected from a small operating system, it is distributed as dual-arch, minimal Live CD ISO images of approximately 200MB in size, suitable for both 32-bit (i386) and 64-bit (x86_64) computers and deployable on either a CD disc or a USB flash drive.
Minimal boot prompt à la Puppy Linux
As this is actually an official Puppy Linux remix, it boast the same minimal boot screen that is available on other Puppy Linux editions, designed from the ground up to start the live OS in 5 seconds from the moment the user boots the Live CD from the BIOS of a PC. Advanced boot options can be entered on the boot prompt, so make sure you check out the basic and advanced help screens by pressing the F2 and F3 keys.
Ultra fast graphical desktop environment with tons of lightweight apps
It takes a few seconds for the live environment to load. Once loaded, you’ll immediately notice the snappiness of the graphical desktop environment, which is powered by IceWM and uses a traditional setup with a single taskbar located on the bottom edge of the screen and a slim main menu.
As usual, the distro is loaded with tons of lightweight apps, among which we can mention ROX-Filer, mtPaint, InkLite, Viewnior, AbiWord, Leafpad, Geany, SeaMonkey, HomeBank, Gnumeric, Figaro's Password Manager, gFTP, Transmission, uGet, Pidgin, ISO Master, Asunder and GNOME MPlayer.
All in all, Puppy Linux Precise is a very fast, stable and attractive operating system for users who want to install and use Ubuntu applications on a Puppy Linux base. It also supports the standard Puppy Linux packages and can transform an old computer into a powerful workstation.
Puppy Linux was reviewed by Marius Nestor, last updated on June 28th, 2014