Porteus Kiosk Edition is a modular Slackware-based Linux distribution suitable for public Internet cafes.
Porteus Kiosk Edition is available only for 32-bit architecture and features a kiosk wizard tool (available on the download page).
Here are some key features of "Porteus Kiosk Edition":
· Small footprint
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· upgraded linux kernel to 3.8.6
· kernel config: added support for touchscreen devices and 10Gb network cards
· upgraded Firefox to version 20.0
· upgraded flashplayer to version 184.108.40.2065
· added the following userspace xf86-input drivers: acecad, aiptek, elographics, mutouch, penmount
· upgraded all xorg drivers (input, video) to latest versions
· added drivers for better handling Porteus Kiosk in VMware Player
· booting media is kept mounted after boot so ejecting the CD manually is not possible
· fixed firefox url agent so it won't switch to the mobile version of the websites anymore
· default ISO is no longer in the 'isohybrid' format, due to the bug described here: link.
· Note that with this change, the default ISO can still be burned to a CD/DVD, but it cannot be installed on a flash or hard drive. For those installations, please run the kiosk wizard and select an option to convert the ISO to the isohybrid format.
· screensaver is disabled with the 'xset' utility
· brought back the missing 'set kbd layout' and 'disable firewall' options
· homepage URL can now contain special characters like '&'
· added statically linked 'mkisofs' utility as Debian systems have it under different name (genisoimage) and wizard did not work under those systems
New features in the wizard:
· option for shutting down firefox after a certain period of keyboard/mouse inactivity. Caches get cleared and the browser restarts when the user moves or clicks the mouse or presses any key on the keyboard.
· create a hybrid ISO image, please make sure that your motherboard is compatible with the isohybrid format before making your custom Kiosk ISO hybr