Parted Magic is a GPL licensed Live CD/USB Linux operating system created to easily partition hard drives.
Parted Magic is mainly powered by the GParted and Parted tools, but it also contains programs like partimage, testdisk, fdisk, sfdisk, dd, etc...
Here are some key features of "Parted Magic":
· Format internal and external hard drives.
· Move, copy, create, delete, expand & shrink hard drive partitions.
· Clone your hard drive, to create a full backup.
· Test hard drives for impending failure.
· Test memory for bad sectors.
· Benchmark your computer for a performance rating.
· Securely erase your entire hard drive, wiping it clean from all data.
· Gives access to non-booting systems allowing you to rescue important data.
· Runs from the CD, no install required.
· Bootable CD-ROM
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The Parted Magic project is proud to announce another stable release of the popular partitioning and system rescue environment. This has been by far the most ambitious release of Parted Magic to date. Take a look at all the new features and improvements!
· EFI booting support from CDROM has been greatly improved.
· Erase Disk has a new menu with translations.
· f2fs-tools has been added. You an also create a f2fs with GParted. The GParted team graciously excepted our patch and merged it with version 0.16.0 of GParted.
· A new “forcevesa” kernel command line option has been added. This works with cards like the MGA G200* series.
· The Parted Magic Wipe Free Space GUI has been translated.
· We have created a simple GTK+ GUI for chntpw. It should make changing Windows passwords much easier.
· The Xorg Server has been upgraded to 1.14.1 with all the latest Xorg drivers.
· SpaceFM now manages the desktop. You can now drag and drop icons to the desktop or /root/Desktop folders. The right click menu allows the creation of files and folders. That means you can keep your files on the desktop again. :)
· Jeex and Hexedit have been added to the SpaceFM right click “Open” menu. This makes it much easier to edit files directly. “Open terminal here” and “Show hidden files” have also been added to the right click menu.
· We have written a new program to help prepare USB drives for booting Parted Magic. It's called “USB Boot Flash”. This code was based off “bootflash” from Puppy Linux.
· Firefox has been upgraded to version 20.0.1.
· We wrote a new program called “Parted Magic Mount” and the fstab daemon has been completely redesigned. It works much faster and it's a lot more accurate then it ever has been. Because of the new design it polls every 5 seconds instead of 10. If a change is detected, the device probe and fstab changes are made in about 1 second on most machines.
· GParted has been upgraded to version 0.16.1. This version corrects the segfaults found in the 0.15.0 and 0.16.0 releases. It's been well tested by us and the GParted team.
· Clonezilla has been upgraded to version 3.3.10 and DRBL to version 2.3.10.
· There has also been a number of added programs: chkrootkit-0.49, gdmap-0.8.1, sg3_utils-1.35, jeex-12.0, xterm-291, rdesktop-1.7.1, putty-0.62, and f2fs-tools-1.1.0.
· The Linux kernel has been upgraded to version 3.8.10 with reiser4 support.
· The following programs have been removed: udisks, mount-gtk, Rox-filer, feh, and imlib.