PCLinuxOS is an English only Live CD initially based on Mandrake Linux that runs entirely from a bootable CD.
Data on the CD is uncompressed on the fly, allowing up to 2GB of programs on one CD including a complete X server, KDE desktop, OpenOffice.org and many more applications all ready to use.
In addition to the live CD, you can also install PCLinuxOS to your hard drive with an easy-to-use livecd-installer. Additional applications can be added or removed from your hard drive using a friendly apt-get front end via Synaptic.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· XFCE 4.8.3 Desktop Environment â Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly.
· Kernel â The kernel was updated to version 126.96.36.199. Additional kernels are available from our repositories such as a PAE kernel for computers with more than 4 gigs of memory. A BFS kernel for maximum desktop performance and a standard kernel with group scheduling enabled.
· Xorg â Xorg server was updated to version 1.10.4. Mesa updated to 7.11.2 and libdrm to version 2.4.26. This update brings enhancements to the PCLinuxOS desktop including speed, 3D desktop support for most Intel, Nvidia and AMD/ATi video cards, better font rendering, black screen fixes for most Nvidia cards, better Flash playback and more.
· The most recent versions of Nvidia and AMD/ATi video drivers are included on the LiveCD and automatically configured for you. The bad news is users with older legacy video cards included in most dated computers may not function properly due to many depreciated xorg video drivers.
· Toolchain â Gcc software compiler was updated to version 4.5.2 and glibc updated to 2.13.4. Locales were updated to version 2.13.1.
· Package Manager â RPM was updated to version 4.8.1. apt-get and the Synaptic Package Manager were also updated to work with the updated rpm packages. yum and yumex will be available in the coming weeks as an alternative package manager.
· Theme Update â PCLinuxOS Phoenix Edition 2012-02 release received a full makeover. 2012-02 features a new brush metal theme including updates to grub, plymouth, gdm, gfxboot and application splash screens. Additional themes are also installed from the previous 3 years releases