PC/OS Open64 Workstation is an operating system for 64-bit hardware systems. It is based on Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope).
Welcome to PC/OS
So what's unique regarding PC/OS. It's the first Linux based distribution that provides ease of use out of the box. It provides all multimedia codecs out of the box, an easy to use and simplified interface. Great compatibility with older hardware to help you extend your hardware and software investments. Being based on Ubuntu Linux all software and hardware that is compatible with Ubuntu is compatible with PC/OS. Our mission statement is summed up in two words "Simplified Computing"
Of course there are some issues and here are the known ones:
- When you boot to the liveCD it comes up to the GDM you have to wait 10 seconds for it to login. Canonical introduced this in Ubuntu 9.04.
- No usplash. Yes I know some people want the elegance but many of the custom Usplash files failed to load up. We are working on this and hope to have Usplash back in PC/OS Open64 Workstation 10.1.
- On the LiveCD the panel launchers do not work. This is due to XFCE including a working directory structure to panel launchers. You can right click hit properties and set it and they will work fine.
- There will only be 3 releases of Open64. Workstation, Server and core coming out later this month we are currently testing these other two releases.
- We will not be releasing an Open64 desktop CD image unless there is significant demand for it.
Here are some key features of "PC/OS Open64 Workstation":
· XFCE 4.6
· Openoffice.org 3.1
· QT 4
· Sun Java
· Flash 64 bit plugin
· Multimedia and development tools and libraries
· All multimedia codecs
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This release targets specifically 64 bit hardware systems. This release is based on the Ubuntu 9.04 base system and has been updated with all the security and bug patches as of May 25, 2009.