OpenGEU is a complete and fully functional operating system based on the popular Linux Distribution Ubuntu. OpenGEU, a project started and designed by the Italian artist Luca D.M. is perfect for any Desktop, Laptop PC or even for a Virtual Machine. OpenGEU mixes the power and simplicity of Ubuntu and parts of the Gnome Desktop with the wonder and astonishing eye-candy of Enlightenment DR17
This distribution will be a new experience for any user trying to run a stand-alone E17 Desktop in the past. To know exactly what Enlightenment is, we suggest you visit the Home Page of the project. On the user side, E17 appears as an incredibly nice looking Desktop Shell, composed of a Window Manager, a full set of libraries, a Desktop and a collection of modules and applications. In this stage, Enlightenment alone is not enough to make you desktop fully functional, and it's strange that so many people are especting Enlightenment to become a full Desktop Environment like Gnome, KDE or XFCE.
That's where OpenGEU comes in. OpenGEU completes the missing parts of the E17 Desktop Shell and WM with a certain number of tools and applications from the Gnome Desktop. This is only natural, after all: it would be crazy to believe that E17 should provide a full set of applications based on ETK instead of GTK!
In OpenGEU you can find a classic Ubuntu set of applications mixed with those provided and created from and for E17. You'll experience a finally usable and productive Enlightenment 0.17 Desktop!
Performance and advantages
Enlightenment is a light weight Desktop Shell, so your computer will run at a very high speed with incredible 2D effects, such as animations, fading, shadows and much more. E17 doesn't need a 3D card for all of its effects to run properly and Xcompmgr is provided by default in OpenGEU for you to try out every composite effect (Like real transparencies and shadows) any time you want to. If you find that Xcompmgr doesn't slow down your computer too much, you can even run it as a startup application in Enlightenment. What's incredible about E17 and Xcompmgr is that since they don't need a 3D video card to run perfectly, you will be able to have an astonishing level of eye-candy even on a relatively old computer and even on a Virtual Machine! Ubuntu alone could never provide such beaty without Compiz and a fully working 3D video card.
OpenGEU is designed to become a completely community based OS, with the goal of a better and perfect integration between E17 and Gnome. We need programmers, coders, hackers, anyone able to modify certain aspects of this distro so that it can be a better and less confusing User experience. My name is Luca De Marini and I'm an Italian designer, I'm not a coder. OpenGEU is a strong idea I and InTiLinux Projects believe in. We just have to make it blossom even better than how it has done in this first release, OpenGEU 7.04 - Prima Luna. Every new-comer will be welcome, as long as he can help somehow the project! For that reason too, if you're not a programmer, click on the Contribute link to know how to help OpenGEU aniway.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· OpenGEU is not using any external settings manager anymore, we developed our own light-fast e17-settings-manager (thanks to Quaker), completely customizable via command line for experienced users!
· The new Geutheme, the OpenGEU Themes Manager, is now able of controlling even more parts of the look of your Desktop! The user interface of Geutheme has been completely redrawn too, to let you have easier access to all of the options you need!
· The Places Module, able of showing and even auto-mounting any device connected to your box. Places is completely compatible with OpenGEU’s File Manager, Thunar.
· A new and more advanced Mixer module, capable of showing you all the properties of your soundcard!
· Wizard, the new E17 module by Rasterman which will help you customize your Enlightenment session, with new experimental features for NetBooks too (even a Virtual Keyboard is being developed).
· The OpenGEU Defaults Configuration Manager, a more advanced tool for restoring your default OpenGEU settings. With this new tool you’ll be able to choose between a complete restore of the default OpenGEU session or the start of the Wizard Module configuration procedure, which will let you have a 100% customized E17 desktop!
· OpenGEU Upgrade Manager: with this tool we really hope you will have no more problems in upgrading the Enlightenment Desktop in the future! The Upgrade Manager will safely upgrade your system for you, turning off E17 during the entire upgrade process.
· Echomorph, the 3D Enlightenment Window Manager! Basically, Echomorph (By Hannes J. from our team) will bring an incredibly nice looking 3D desktop to your Enlightenment system, exactly like Compiz! Of course, to run Echomorph you’ll need a 3D enabled video card but do not worry: the main target for OpenGEU is still a generic 2D desktop and always will be. To run Echomorph you need to change your session from the Login Screen (GDM). You can try it on the Live CD too, you just have to log off, change the default session and log in again ;)
· When you’ll be running an Echomorph session, you won’t be able to use the default OpenGEU Desktop Effects, so, trying to open the corresponding panel from Geutheme will open for you an Echomorph configuration screen instead!
· Configuration Menu, a new module able of showing you all of the E17 settings directly from the E17 menu! This is a great feature and basically it means that all of the E17 settings are now a mouse click away from you and that you’ll be able to access any of your usual Gnome System tool from E17 Menu --> Settings --> System