Nexenta is a complete GNU-based open source operating system built on top of the OpenSolaris kernel and runtime.
It is a result of our inspiration and desire to build a great system based on the best existing software: SunOS kernel and GNU software. We use Debian - one of the best existing software distribution/packaging mechanisms - to glue the numerous pieces together.
At the moment, Nexenta is not part of the Debian Project. Our packages are not present in the Debian database. We are hoping that in the future this will change and our packages will get their "upstream acceptance".
Nexenta OS has been a hard and challenging work, yet every bit of it is fun! We spent many hours building the system and today it is out - it'll start speaking for itself.
Nexenta is completely open source and free of any charge.
It contains Apache, MySQL, Perl/Python/PHP, Firefox, Evolution, software update manager, Synaptic package manager, Gaim Instant Messenger, abiword, administration & development utilities, editors, graphics, GNOME, interpreters, libraries and many others. All of this is running on the state-of-the-art SunOS kernel. Visit our ScreenShots gallery to see them all in action.
There's a huge and growing multitude of software: the kernel, network services, databases, utilities, user applications. There is a conglomerate of code and hardware that is constantly changing, improving, and altogether getting more complicated. Somebody once rightly said: free software is only free if time has no value. Nexenta distribution integrates well over 2,300 packages. It installs, runs and upgrades. It delivers!
Nexenta software packages (for the most part) are originated from Ubuntu (Breezy) Linux. Ubuntu (yet another excellent distribution that uses DEB software packaging) contains more than 16,000+ software packages. One of our goals is to make them all available for use on top of our environment.
Today Nexenta runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit x86/x64 platforms. As a prove of relative maturity and a confidence booster - this web portal and the entire development environment (including Bugs and HackZone) are powered by Nexenta.
Nexenta makes its first steps into the big world. We invite you to join us and participate too! Help us make Nexenta the best operating environment in the world! Help us test Nexenta on your laptops, desktops, and servers. Help us improve our web portal, translate Nexenta into your own language, add new applications, enhance existing ones and define a set of software to be used in the future releases.
This is a complete Nexenta OS with select applications on a single CD with network and GNOME environment.
The LiveCD image can be burned into a bootable CD-R/CD-RW, and/or it can be booted in VMWare or QEMU environments. Our LiveCD contains support for 32- and 64-bit x86/x64 platforms.
Here are some key features of "Nexenta OS":
· OpenSolaris kernel build 26
Specifically for Desktop:
· GNOME 2.12.1
· Complete GNOME Office (Abiword, Gnumeric, GNOME-DB, Inkspace, GIMP, Gnomemeeting, Dia)
· X.org 6.8.2 with wider hardware support
· Synaptic package management and Automatic Update notifier
· Nexenta artworks with "Solar" theme
· Integrated DBUS, HAL (work in progress)
· KDE libraries, GNOME 1.x libraries
· Nice Fonts collection
· Apache1 (1.3.33), Apache2 (2.0.54) next generation, scalable, extendable web server
· PHP4, PHP5 with all sort of extensions
· Perl 5.8.7 with varios CPAN modules pre-built
· Python-2.2, Python-2.3, Python-2.4 with various extension modules
· Java: JRE-1.5.0 and GNU gnj and classpath
· Ruby-1.8 with all sort of extensions
· Subversion, CVS, others...
Simplified (minimal) installer:
· Script-based installer.
· Automatically makes existing hard drive partitions available to the desktop
"Under the hood":
· Debian packaging (including SUNW packages)
· Mostly compiled with GCC 4.0.1, but GCC-3.4 and Sun Devpro is also used
· More modular X.org packaging, latest CVS bits
· HAL integrational work (ongoing)
· user: root
· password: livecd
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixes to nexenta-zones
· Additional backports from ON to b134.