Mythbuntu is based on the ever-popular Ubuntu Linux operating system. MythBuntu makes it extremely easy to setup MythTV so that you can quickly begin recording your favorite shows.
MythTV is also well known for the selection of plugins that are available, as well as some themes.
Here are some key features of "MythBuntu":
· Basic 'live-tv' functionality. Pause/Fast Forward/Rewind "live" TV.
· Support for multiple tuner cards and multiple simultaneous recordings.
· Distributed architecture allowing multiple recording machines and multiple playback machines on the same network, completely transparent to the user.
· Completely automatic commercial detection/skipping
· Grabs program information using xmltv.
· Displays basic program information on channel change using a themeable semi-transparent on-screen display.
· Electronic Program Guide that lets you change channels and select programs to record.
· Scheduled recordings of TV programs, and playback and deletion of those programs, all through a themeable UI.
· A nice web interface to let you select programs to record remotely.
· Rip, categorize, play, and visualize MP3/Ogg/FLAC/CD Audio files. (FLAC, Vorbis, and MP3 encoding). Create complex playlists (and playlists containing playlists) through a simple UI.
· An emulator frontend. (MAME, NES, SNES, generic PC games)
· An image viewer/slideshow application.
· A weather module.
· A generic video player module, with automatic metadata lookups
· A DVD player / ripper module. Make perfect backups, or transcode down to smaller file sizes.
· An RSS news feed reader module.