Monkey Linux is a minimal Linux ELF distribution in a 7.5 MB archive (5 diskettes) Monkey Linux can be extracted to the DOS filesystem (to the FAT32 too). This is complete small ELF distribution with latest kernel on 5 diskettes. Monkey can run on this minimal HW: 386SX, 4MB RAM, 30MB on IDE HDD.
Contain X Window for any SVGA videocard, support for network, support for 3C5x9, 3c59x, 3c900, NE2000/NE1000, WD80x3 ethernet cards, ATAPI/MITSUMI CD. There is some ready-to-install packages, GCC and kernel source for compiling your own kernel too.
Here are some key features of "Monkey Linux":
· minimal Linux ELF distribution in 7.5MB archive (5 diskettes)
· Monkey is small, but is not only a toy
· contain X Window
· full network support with TCP/IP and IPX/SPX
· latest Kernel with modules
· some ready-to-install packages with usefull software
· usually Linux distributions need repartition with previous full backup. With Monkey Linux you can simply extract all the files to one directory. Linux will use MSDOS FAT as well as I think (also FAT32). This allows you to experiment with Linux everywhere you want. You do not need to know anything about fdisk, ext2, bootdisk, rootdisk, etc.
· you may install any other Linux applications
· Monkey is not really complete distribution - use Slackware, RedHat, etc. (Monkey will be probably your first step...)
· X Window Xfree 3.2 (SVGA server for Trident, Cirrus, Realtek, ...)
· Fvwm95, xterm
· editors: vi, joe (Wordstar compatibile editor)
· telnet, ssh, ftp, traceroute, nslookup, Lynx, (Netscape in the installable package)
· bootpd, bootpgw, cron
· many utilities for text procesing (awk, sed, perl, ...)
· utilities for working with IPX/SPX
· support for many filesystems