Legacy OS is a Linux operating system based on Puppy Linux. Compared to its parent, Legacy OS promises better desktop artwork, improved ease-of-use, and enhanced usability with additional applications:
- VLC Player
- Sweethome 3D
- Frozen Bubbles
- and a whole lot more.
· 500Mhz CPU (Processor)
· 192Mb RAM
· 20x CD-ROM Drive that can be booted from
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· After 9 months of development, today sees the release of Legacy OS 2.
· With this release comes a host of improvements over Legacy OS. Many questions were asked about what makes a good Operating System. Users who have installed and used the previous release of Legacy OS regularly for a period of time will notice the improvements. I recommend everyone using Legacy OS to upgrade to Legacy OS 2. (Requires Re-install)
· Where to start? The focus was to look at all expects of Legacy OS and make improvements.
· We started by looking at the default Desktop and the gtk and kde themes it used.
· It was decided to create a pleasant neutral look to tie all the include applications together. A desktop environment that was easy on the eye and usable every day. The look had to be usable for those who want or need to use Legacy OS 2 as their main Operating System.
· While the gtk and kde themes share common elements, there are differences by design.
· You'll only find one Window Manager (ICEWM). One icewm, gtk and kde theme. The goal was to keep it as simple as possible. We didn't want to confuse new users with multiple options.
· Next was the look and feel of the applications. How does each application look to the user.
· Does it look dated, what can we do to make it more visually appealing so users will want to use it. Can it be updated to a later version?
· A large number of icons were replaced and for the first time new icons were created or modified especially for Legacy OS 2. Unique start up "Splash" imagines were created for a number of Applications.
· We looked at ways of making it easier and faster to access applications through the sidebar, task bar and menu.
· Where needed pop up messages provide unique information about an application to a user.
· Applications like the ROX File Manager allow easy access to tasks by just right mouse clicking on a file.
· Now it was time to turn our attention to the Applications included in Legacy OS.
· Any application for one reason or another not up to standard was removed. Unused system files were deleted.
· Archived repositories of many Distro's were searched for suitable applications. Forum's were searched back a number of years for lost and forgotten applications. These all had to be tested.
· All the applications included in Legacy OS 2 were chosen for one reason or another. Yes we know there are newer versions available. What we looked for wasn't the age of the application but its usability, reliability and suitability on the Legacy Hardware this Operating System is designed for.
Applications New in Legacy OS 2:
· asunder 1.6.2 (Music CD Ripper)
· gwenview 1.1.8 (Image Manager)
· k9copy 1.0.4 (DVD9 to DVD5 converter)
· kadu 0.6.0 (Internet Chat Client for Linux)
· kalcul 0.1 (Allows children to test their Maths skills)
· kamix 0.6.6 (Sound Mixer will lots of options)
· kdocker 1.3 (Docks open Applications in to the system tray)
· kid3 0.5 (Edit/Rename MP3 song files)
· koverartist 0.3.2 (Create CD/DVD cover art)
· ksquirrel 0.8.0 (Image / document viewer)
· kuake 0.3 (Pop down Terminal)
· mandvd v2.2 (Video DVD Creator)
· mrxvt 0.5.1 (Terminal)
· multimedia converter 1.5 (Convert many Video/Sound formats easily)
· oregano 0.40.4 (Schematic capture and circuit simulation)
· pconvert v2.15-1 (Units Converter cms to inches, kmh to mph etc)
· qalculate v0.7.2 (Units Converter cms to inches, kmh to mph etc and more)
· quacc v3.5 (Home accounting software)
· rekordmydesktop 0.3 (Record your desktop in to OGG format)
· screensaver mu-v0.2 (MU's experimental basic Screensaver improved)
· tuxpaint 0.9.14 (Small children's paint Application)
· xvidcap 1.1.5 (Record parts of your desktop in to Mpeg format)
· you2pup 2.1.4 (Download and convert videos from Youtube)
Applications Removed for the following reasons:
· fluxbox 0.9.3 (To focus on one window manager only)
· frostwire 4.13.3 (No longer connected to Host/Legal problems with files)
· kooldock 0.3 (Again to focus on one window manager)
· kover 2.9.6 (Replaced KoverArtist)
· kuickshow 0.8.12 (Replaced by better Applications)
· numerical chameleon 1.6.0 (Replaced by Qalculate)
· showimg 0.9.4.1 (Replaced by better Applications)
· grip 3.0.0 (Replaced by Asunder)
· A number of files applications rely on have also been updating.
· For Example: ffmpeg updated to 0.6.1 (A number of newer multimedia formats now supported)
· The Hard Drive Installer has been improved within the original framework. Message boxes to guide a user through the install and rewording of the Installer should allow more users to successfully install Legacy OS 2 on their Hard Drives. While it's no up to Ubuntu standards, it's still an improvement over the Installer in Legacy OS.
· The above processors were performed many times over and are what makes Legacy OS 2 our best release ever!
· I hope you enjoy using Legacy OS 2 as much as we enjoyed creating it for you!