A beginner-friendly, easy to install and use FreeBSD-based desktop oriented operating system
Add it to your Download Basket!
Add it to your Watch List!
What's new in JabirOS 1.0.1:
- We’re pleased to announce new release of “The new JabirOS” after a long time! This version is based on FreeBSD 9.2-RC1. In this version , we’ve added ”OpenBox” as default window manager and “SLiM” as default display manager.
- In this release , we don’t have any web browser, player or office suite. you can install them after using “pkg_add”.
- And we have a new installer called “jabirinstall”. jabirinstall is a simple shell script. Installation process is very similar to ArchBSD/Archlinux.
- LICENSE TYPE:
- GPL (GNU General Public License)
- OUR RATING:
- DEVELOPED BY:
- Muhammadreza Haghiri
- USER RATING:
- ROOT \ System \ Operating Systems \ Other
JabirOS is an open source BSD distribution, derived from the FreeBSD operating system. Initially designed as a distribution of Linux based on the world’s most popular free OS, Ubuntu, JabirOS aims to be an independent BSD variant built around the Xfce desktop environment.
Distributed as a dual-arch Live CDThe project is available for download via Softpedia or directly from its official homepage (see link above) as a single, dual-arch Live CD ISO image of approximately 600MB in size, which must be written to either a blank CD disc or a USB flash drive of 1GB or higher capacity in order to boot it from the BIOS of a PC.
Boot menu à la FreeBSDThe boot menu of the JabirOS distribution is the same one used on several other FreeBSD OSes. It has been designed to allow the user to boot the live environment in multi user or single user mode, drop to a shell prompt or reboot the computer. In addition, it is possible to configure various boot options, such as APCI support, safe mode, verbose or single user.
Lightweight desktop environment powered by XfceThe default and only desktop environment of JabirOS is Xfce, which provides users with a lightweight graphical session that comprises of a top panel for easy access to the main menu and interaction with running programs, as well as a bottom dock (application launcher).
Bottom lineSumming up, JabirOS is a great BSD distribution and one of the very few operating system that turned their back to the Linux ecosystem and are not using the latest BSD technologies. It is the perfect OS for low-end machines or computers with old and semi-old hardware components.
JabirOS was reviewed by Marius Nestor, last updated on June 11th, 2014