HostGIS Linux project is a Linux/GNU distribution specifically made for handling GIS information. HostGIS Linux saves hours or days of installing MapServer and its components, and will have you serving GIS maps in minutes.
Here are some key features of "HostGIS Linux":
· All the usual amenities of a Linux distribution: compilers, Perl, etc.
· Apache webserver, with PHP
· MapServer, and MapScript for PHP, Perl, and Python
· PDFlib, with support built in to PHP, Perl, Python, and MapServer
· PostGIS-enabled Postgres database server
· Example maps already installed: shapefiles, ECW raster, PostGIS, MyGIS, WMS server and client, and Flash output
· Webmin, phpMyAdmin, and phpPgAdmin for easy system administration
Being a Linux, HostGIS Linux is of course completely open source and may be downloaded, modified, and redistributed free of charge.