Hikarunix linux is a Live Linux CD distribution. Any PC that can boot to CD can boot to Hikarunix instead of the computer's regular operating system. Since it boots entirely in RAM and only borrows the peripherals, Hikarunix doesn't touch the host machine at all.
Shut the machine down, pop the CD out, reboot and you'll find yourself back with the same old OS that you started with. No installation or partitioning necessary. The fact that it fits on a pocket sized miniCD and can boot on just about any machine makes it extremely portable. Internet cafes, Library computers, a borrowed laptop can all be your personal, temporary Go workstation. If you wish you can also install it to your harddrive.
The name was inspired by the Japanese manga and anime series Hikaru No Go. It's about the world of Professional Go as seen by Junior High School student Hikaru and his ghost Go mentor Sai. It's a lot better then I make it sound, besides, admit it, reading comics is still fun. Pick up a copy of the English translation of the comic here.
Hikarunix itself and any additions I've made are covered by the GNU General Public License, although the individual packages installed in Hikarunix retain their original licenses. This means that Hikarunix is entirely free. Feel welcome to make copies for your friends, family and co-workers, start a Go club and hand it out to all members. I put this CD together to open this great game to a wider audience, so the more copies that are out there the better.
Hikarunix will always be free, but if you'd like to contribute to the cause you might consider donating to the project. You can also pick up an "official" miniCD, a Hikarunix USB drive, or a plethora of mugs and tshirts from our store. I also an just a beginner at Go and am still terrible at the game. If anyone would like to donate a Go lesson I can be found on most Go servers as t1ckt0ck.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Firefox updated to 1.0.6 with support for Chinese/Japanese/Korean fonts
· Kogo's Joseki updated to 27.Mar.2005
· Local snapshot of Sensei's Library updated to 3.Jan.2005
· GNUGo updated to 3.7.4
· Jacoto 1.2.15 added as primary SGF manager
· Quarry updated to 0.1.14
· CGoban updated to 2.6.12
· sgf2misc updated to 2.9.2
· Simple GUIs for easier access to sgf2misc, sgfmerger, and sgfsplit
· GoGrinder updated to 1.11
· Jago updated to 4.6
· PANDA-glGo updated to 1.3.1
· qGo updated to 1.0.2
· K3's UGF/SGF/NGF Conversion tool added
· Now over 9300 Go Problems (3400+ than 0.3)
· Now over 8500 Game records (2600+ than 0.3)
· Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean locales and fonts (experimental)