ExLight Linux Live DVD 150126
An Ubuntu based Live Linux operating system specifically designed for 64-bit architectures
Add it to your Download Basket!
Add it to your Watch List!
What's new in ExLight Linux Live DVD 150126:
- ExLight is now based on upcoming Ubuntu 15.04 (alias "Vivid Vervet") and Debian "Jessie".
- I have upgraded the Desktop environment Enlightenment ("Beauty at your fingertips") to version 0.19.1.
- I have replaced kernel 3.16.0-21-exton with kernel 3.18.0-10-exton.
- ExLight's ISO file is now a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExLight from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I've found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. The scripts are quite ingenious. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems.
- LICENSE TYPE:
- GPL (GNU General Public License)
- OUR RATING:
- DEVELOPED BY:
- Arne Exton
- USER RATING:
- ROOT \ Linux Distributions
ExLight Linux Live DVD is an open source Linux distribution based on the world’s most popular free operating system, Ubuntu Linux (version 15.04 at the moment of writing this article), as well as on Debian Jessie. It esigned as a general-purpose computing environment only for 64-bit architectures. It is built around the Enlightenment 0.19.1 desktop environment, which is not yet available in Ubuntu's main software repositories.
Distributed as a 64-bit Live DVDThe distro comes as a single Live DVD ISO-hybrid image that can be deployed on a persistent USB flash drive. This means that all your settings and files will be saved during the live session (a 2GB or bigger USB stick is recommended). The Live DVD contains software packages optimized only for the 64-bit instruction set architecture.
Boot optionsThe boot menu of the Live DVD provides users with the ability to start the live, persistent environment, copy the entire live media to RAM (system memory), boot the operating system that is already installed on the respective computer, test your computer’s system memory (RAM) for errors, and install ExLight directly. Most users will probably prefer to test the distribution before installing. In this case, the default entry is the recommended one. The Enlightenment login screen will appear in a few seconds, so you’ll need to use the exlight username (without a password).
Professional looking desktop environmentThe desktop session looks very professional, and a lot more responsive and cleaner than on other Linux distributions that are built around the Enlightenment window manager. There's only a multipurpose dock (application launcher) at the bottom of the screen.
Default applicationsThe system includes applications like AbiWord, Skype, Google Chrome (useful for watching Netflix movies), as well as the powerful Synaptic Package Manager for installing, updating or removing packages from the OS. The Ubiquity installer, support for Flash and Java, support for multimedia codecs, and custom custom 3.18.0-10-exton (based on the upstream stable Linux 3.18 kernel) are also included in ExLight. The default language for the system is English.
Bottom lineBecause it is based on Ubuntu/Debian, and because it uses the Enlightenment window manager, we recommend this Linux operating system for anyone who dreams of a perfect computing environment for their mid-range PCs or laptops.
ExLight Linux Live DVD was reviewed by Marius Nestor, last updated on January 30th, 2015