Elemental Linux Server (ELS) is designed from the outset to be a minimal, no-frills server distribution. There is no GUI, everything is console-based. There is no package manager, packages are installed from .tar.gz files. There is no administration tool, all configuration is done by manually editing files in the /etc directory.
There is also very little bloat in the ELS distribution.
Elemental Linux Server will easily install on the vintage 1995 Pentium computer with 32M of RAM and a 500M hard drive that's sitting in your basement collecting dust. Don't throw it out, reanimate it as a home file server or a personal web server.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Updated kernel, glibc, and gcc versions
· Improved mail capabilities with the addition of exim and mailx packages
· Web server now has PHP scripting capabilities
· Midnight commander console-based file manager added
· Added smartmontools package for monitoring hard drive health
· BIND domain name server added