Add it to your Download Basket!
Add it to your Watch List!
What's new in Edubuntu 13.04 Beta 1:
- This build allows developers and users to evaluate early changes in this release and no details are finalised yet. Features that were partially implemented in Alpha 1 and not completed have been removed in this Beta build and will be re-integrated after the release.
- Artwork is not final and very likely to change, do not use for documentation purposes
- Package selection is not final and subject to change
- This is a release preview which doesn't have complete testing coverage. Practice caution and make backups if necessary.
- LICENSE TYPE:
- GPL (GNU General Public License)
- OUR RATING:
- DEVELOPED BY:
- Canonical Ltd.
- USER RATING:
- ROOT \ Linux Distributions
Availability, supported platforms, boot options
This Edubuntu edition is still available for download as two Live DVD ISO images or approximately 3GB in size each, which can be burned onto DVD discs using any CD/DVD burning utility or written on USB flash drives of 4GB or higher capacity using Disks or UNetbootin.
The boot manager lets users to select a language, start the live environment, boot an existing operating system from the first disk drive, run a memory (RAM) diagnostic test, change the keymap, add extra kernel parameters, as well as to install the distribution without testing it (not recommended).
Modern educational environment suitable for classroom use
The Unity user interface gets better and better with each new release of the Edubuntu Linux operating system, providing students and teachers with a modern educational environment suitable for classroom use. As usual, it comprises of a top panel for interacting with running programs and a dock (appplication launcher) on the left side of the screen.
Among the preinstalled educational applications, we can mention Stellarium, Celestia, KAlgebra, Kalzium, KTouch, KTurtle, KWordQuiz, Step, Lybniz, LibreCAD, Dia, LRF Viewer, GCompris, Calibre, Bluefish, KLetters, as well as LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project).
In addition, the Mozilla Firefox web browser, Mozilla Thunderbird email and news client, Empathy instant messenger, Transmission BitTorrent client, LibreOffice office suite, Deja Dup backup utility, GIMP image editor, Rhythmbox music player, and Gedit text editor are also included.
Summing up, the Raring Ringtail edition of Edubuntu offers yet another powerful educational environment suitable for classroom use by teachers and students alike. It was supported by Canonical between April 25, 2013 and January 27, 2014.
Edubuntu was reviewed by Marius Nestor, last updated on May 16th, 2014