Descent|OS 4.0.1 / 4.04 Beta
Add it to your Download Basket!
Add it to your Watch List!
What's new in Descent|OS 4.0.1:
- It is now based on Debian Wheezy (instead of sid) and is built for stability rather than new development. Here is what is included in the new version:
- Mate 1.6 is now included. Mate 1.6 is a great successor to Mate 1.4, and has their registry system finally merged into gconf/dconf, which makes management much easier on the desktop side.
- Iceweasel(Firefox) 20: I added the backports repository for Iceweasel, so now you can get the most current version.
- Icedove(Thunderbird) replaced Claws-mail: This is more an ease-of-use call, really. Claws-mail is a great client, but Icedove is a more familiar client.
- LICENSE TYPE:
- GPL (GNU General Public License)
- OUR RATING:
- DEVELOPED BY:
- USER RATING:
- ROOT \ Linux Distributions
A modern OS that supports only 64-bit computers
This is a modern OS that supports only 64-bit computers, downloadable as a Live DVD ISO image or approximately 1.5GB in size. While it will only boot on 64-bit machines, the distribution supports both 32-bit and 64-bit applications.
The boot screen is the main indication that Descent|OS is based on Debian, but only for connoisseurs. Default boot options include the ability to start the live environment with default drivers or in compatibility mode, perform a system memory diagnostic test, as well as to boot an existing operating system from the first drive.
Very lightweight graphical desktop environment with a modern layout
As mentioned, the default and only desktop environment of Descent|OS is MATE, a clone of the GNOME 2 desktop, also known as GNOME Classic. It is a very lightweight graphical desktop environment that features a modern layout comprised of a taskbar located on the bottom edge of the screen and a dock (applications launcher) on the left side of the screen.
Default applications include the Guake Terminal terminal emulator, F-Spot image viewer and organizer, GIMP image editor, Simple Scan image scanner, Gwibber social networking client, Icedove email and news reader, Iceweasel web browser and Pidgin multi-protocol instant messenger.
In addition, the Banshee audio player, OpenShot video editor, VLC Media Player, Xfburn CD/DVD image burning software, Smuxi IRC client, Transmission torrent downloader, and the entire LibreOffice office suite are also included.
Whether you are an experienced Linux user, or you are new into computers, or you are one of those people that always searches for a good-looking and fully functional desktop-oriented operating system, loaded with tons of software packages, Descent|OS is the right OS for you.
Descent|OS was reviewed by Marius Nestor, last updated on July 1st, 2014