Debian GNU/Linux is an open source Linux operating system created from scratch. It is not based on any other Linux distribution created by man.
As a matter of fact, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Linux distributions based on the Debian GNU/Linux operating system, including the world's most popular free operating system, Ubuntu Linux.
Debian GNU/Linux is not a bleeding-edge Linux distribution, it is a stable operating system that includes over 37,500 packages, precompiled software that can be easily installable.
Debian GNU/Linux is distributed as installable DVD ISO images, supporting numerous architectures, including 32-bit, 64-bit, SPARC, ARM, and PowerPC.
- Apache 2.2.22
- Asterisk 22.214.171.124
- GIMP 2.8.2
- an updated version of the GNOME desktop environment 3.4
- GNU Compiler Collection 4.7.2
- Icedove 10 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird)
- Iceweasel 10 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Firefox)
- KDE Plasma Workspaces and KDE Applications 4.8.4
- kFreeBSD kernel 8.3 and 9.0
- LibreOffice 3.5.4
- Linux 3.2
- MySQL 5.5.30
- Nagios 3.4.1
- OpenJDK 6b27 and 7u3
- Perl 5.14.2
- PHP 5.4.4
- PostgreSQL 9.1
- Python 2.7.3 and 3.2.3
- Samba 3.6.6
- Tomcat 6.0.35 and 7.0.28
- Xen Hypervisor 4.1.4
- the Xfce 4.8 desktop environment
- X.Org 7.7
- more than 36,000 other ready-to-use software packages, built from nearly 17,500 source packages.