Chakra LiveCD is an extremely powerful and user-friendly Linux Live CD and/or operating system based on the award winning K Desktop Environment and on the GNU/Linux distribution for connoisseurs: Arch Linux.
Chakra GNU/Linux features a graphical installer, automatic hardware detection and configuration, and of course some more tools and extras. Just check it out and tell us what you think.
Here are some key features of "Chakra GNU/Linux":
· KDE + extra apps and components
· a lightweight and clean hardware detection and configuration framework (work in progress)
· graphics hardware detection and automatic installation/configuration of proprietary graphics drivers
· tribe, our Qt4-based installer, featuring a postinstall backend written completely in bash
· arxin, our system configuration application for Arch Linux (work in progress)
· shaman, our ALPM/Pacman package management frontend
· a Intel Pentium II or higher processor for the i686 version
· a 64Bit-capable processor for the x86_64 version
· 256MiB of RAM for running the liveCD system and 384MiB of RAM for the installation (the more the better)
· around 3GiB of available hard disk space (the more the better)
· a screen capable of 1024 x 768 or higher resolution
· a reasonably fast internet connection, e.g. no modem (you wont have fun with this)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· With this second release of "Benz"(a code name that will follow the KDE SC 4.10 series), the Chakra-Project team is very happy to announce a new feature that has been on the wishlist for quite some time. Tribe (the installer) has a netinstaller feature implemented, giving the user the option for a regular offline install, or install fully updated packages, starting with a minimal functional KDE desktop, and adding groups of packages to that minimal install as desired.
· KDE SC is updated to 4.10.1. The over 100 recorded bugfixes since 4.10.0 include improvements to the Personal Information Management suite Kontact, the Window Manager KWin, and others. KDE's Development Platform has received a number of updates that affect multiple applications.
· For our other tools Kapudan has launchers added and improved systemd units activation handling. GFXboot has improved keyboard options and for the artwork, the "Dharma Grub" theme is updated.
· As for the repositories, there were a large amount of updates to base packages, including Glib2 2.34.3, Networkmanager 0.9.8.0, Iw 3.8, Libffi 3.0.12, Libnl 3.2.21, Db 5.3.21, Apr 1.4.6, with updates to all that depend on these. Calligra 2.6.1, LibreOffice to 4.0.1, Chromium 25.0.1364.160, Firefox 19.0.2 are among the many applications and bundles updated to their latest version.
· The much anticipated Steam has been added to the games repositories.
· With our first "Benz" ISO release, we mentioned three major features missing. With the netinstaller in place, we are down to two, most obvious is no GUI for package management and Tribe's partition page is missing the Solid integration, needed to have automated partitioning and support for LVM, RAID, LUKS and the likes, which we know are needed for a complete, modern installer.
· To create reliable installation media, please follow the instructions in the wiki. Chakra's ISO's do not support unetbootin, and DVDs need a burn speed no higher than 4x.