CentOS is an open source, enterprise-class Linux operating system derived from sources freely provided to the public by Red Hat.
CentOS is fully compatible with the Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system.
Here are some key features of "CentOS":
· easy maintenance
· suitability for long term use in production environments
· friendly environment for users and package maintainers
· long-term support of the core
· active development
· community infrastructure
· open management
· open business model
· commercial support - offered by a partner vendor
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This version has bugfixes, feature enhancements, and new hardware support. There are no new ISO images for this release. Installs moving forward will be off the 4.8 media and an upgrade will move you from version 4.8 to version 4.9. This is done to maintain compatibility with third party kernel drivers, which are designed to be installed as part of the installation process.