CRUX is an open source, lightweight, i686-optimized Linux operating system targeted at experienced Linux users.
CRUX features a simple tar.gz-based package system, a quite small collection of trimmed packages and BSD-style initscripts.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· More than 11 years after the release of CRUX 0.5 for i686, CRUX 3.0 is the first release for the x86-64 architecture.
· At the time Per Liden had created CRUX, the i686 processor on base of the 32-bit Intel IA-32 architecture was state of the art and therefore chosen by him as the default optimization for CRUX. But nowadays the i686 arch is more or less obsolete, at least for desktop machines, and superseded by the x86-64 architecture.
· CRUX 3.0 comes with a multilib toolchain which includes glibc 2.16.0, gcc 4.7.2 and binutils 2.23.1
· Linux 3.6.11
· CRUX 3.0 ships with Xorg 7.7 and xorg-server 1.13.0.
· The ISO image is processed with isohybrid and is suitable for burning on a CD and putting on a USB drive.
· an update from 2.8 i686 to 3.0 is possible but you have to rebuild all installed packages that are not part of the ISO
· we will continue to update the CRUX 2.8 repositories for the near future but encourage all users to update to 3.0
· besides glibc-32 we do not ship any 32-bit compat library on our ISO, but there is a new repository, called compat-32, for the 32-bit compatibity libraries. The repository is not enabled by default (/etc/ports/compat-32.rsync.inactive)
· enable CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION in your kernel configuration, without that option you are not able to build 32bit stuff, even a chroot into a 32bit system, e.g. CRUX 2.8, is not possible without it!
· don't reject /etc/pkgmk.conf, important extensions have been added