ByzantineOS is a software Internet Appliance with a home entertainment bias.
ByzantineOS fits in 32MB (or 48MB) of media and should work on any PC.
Note: With ByzantineOS CD-ROM, there is no need of hard-disks, floppy drives and others. All is needed is a diskless computer with the following parts:
CPU (Intel Pentium)
NIC (Network Interface Card) or MODEM
CD-ROM drive (or DVD drive to play DVD-Video disks!!!)
RAM (128 MB minimum for full graphics)
VESA 2.0 compliant graphic card
The ByzantineOS boots from a CD (business card-sized) and the first thing you will see is a basic menu which allows different types of booting options. These are:
ByzantineOS (Generic): 800x600 framebuffer
ByzantineOS (Generic HiRes) : 1024x768 framebuffer
Now once inside the ByzantineOS type:
to start the X Windows system.
- Linux-2.4.22 / Glibc-2.3.2 with devfs support
- openssh-3.7.1p2 (clients)
- DirectFB-0.9.20 / XDirectFB-1.0-rc5
- Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2_04
- MPlayer 0.92 (mplayerplug-in-2.50)
- Acrobat5 as a XPI ByzantineOS DropIn
- and their dependencies