Aloofix is a Linux distribution optimized for use in virtual machines, conceptually similar to Ubuntu JeOS. It has been tested with VirtualBox, VMWare Player, and Qemu.
The build environment consists of a collection of makefiles, scripts, and configuration files capable of creating a bootable ISO image. This ISO image contains a small set of scripts and utility programs for installing Aloofix on a primary hard drive in a virtual machine environment. The build environment provides the raw materials for creating and provisioning a set of guest instances for VirtualBox, VMware, and QEMU.
What's New in This Release:
· Recipes for several add-on packages have been added: bash, bison, gawk, m4, nasm, ncurses, patch, and strace.
· This release also includes a recipe for Java JRE 1.5 as an add-on package.
· Support for local patch files for the kernel and busybox has been added.
· Syslinux has been bumped to 3.62, and e2fsprogs has been bumped to 1.40.7.
· This release has been tested againsted Virtualbox 1.5.6.
· More documentation is included.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Incorporated a considerable number of enhancements, bug fixes, and cleanup. See the SVN revision log for details.
· Updated the following packages: linux 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 glibc 2.9, busybox 1.13.3, e2fsprogs 1.41.4, syslinux 3.73, dropbear 0.52, binutils 2.19.1, gcc 4.3.3, bash 4.0, bison 2.4, gnum4 1.4.11, openssl 0.9.8i, iana-etc 2.30, jre 1.5.0u17, nasm 2.05, ncurses 5.7
· Added the following packages: Acpid 1.0.8, BerkeleyDB 4.7.25, Bridge-utils 1.4, Cdrtools 2.01, Curl 7.19.2, CVS 1.11.23, Diffutils 2.8, DMIdecode 2.10, EC2-API-Tools 1.3, Ejabberd 2.0.5, Expat 2.0.1, Fakeroot 1.12.1, FastCGI 2.4.0, File 5.00, Findutils 4.4.0, Flex 2.5.35, GCC 3.4.6, GDBM 1.8.3, GMP 4.2.4, Gtar 1.20, Gzip 1.3.3, ICU4C 4.0, Iptables 188.8.131.52, Kqemu 1.4.0pre1, Libiconv 1.12, Lighttpd 1.4.22, Mercurial 1.1.2, MPFR 2.4.1, MySQL 5.1.33, OpenSSL 0.9.8k, OTP-Erlang R12B-4, PCRE 7.8, Perl 5.10.0, Pkg-config 0.23, Popt 1.14, Python 2.6, Qemu 0.10.1, Rsync 3.0.5, Ruby 1.8.7-p72, Rubygems 1.3.0, Shorewall 4.2.6, Sqlite 3.6.12, Strace 4.5.18, Subversion 1.6.0, TZData 2009d, Unifdef 1.0, UUID 1.6.2, Zlib-dev 1.2.3, a small subset of X.org X11R7.4, and the Aloofix source package.
· Added support for running Aloofix on OS X, using VMWare Fusion, Sun Virtualbox, Qemu (via Q), and User-Mode Linux.
· Added a buildstrap procedure to simplify the steps needed to build an initial Aloofix instance.
· Started migrating documentation from texinfo to markdown.
· Added a template-driven script for adding new packages.
· Added preliminary support for Amazon Web Servces EC2.
· Added -fstack-protector to default CFLAGS.