ALT Linux is a Linux distribution based on Sisyphus.
ALT Linux project is a set of Linux distributions that are based on Sisyphus, an APT-enabled RPM package repository that aims to achieve feature completeness, usability, and security in a sensible and manageable mixture.
ALT Linux was founded in 2001 by a merge of two large Russian free software projects. By the year 2008 it became a large organization developing and deploying free software, writing documentation and technical literature, supporting users, and developing custom products. ALT Linux produces different types of distributions for various purposes. There are desktop distributions for home and office computers and for corporate servers, universal distributions that include a wide variety of development tools and documentation, certified products, distributions specialized for educational institutions, and distributions for low-powered computers. ALT Linux has its own development infrastructure and repository called Sisyphus, which provides the base for all the different editions of ALT Linux.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Zero-cost end-user license fee;
· Сentralized administration of pupil computers;
· Deep customization;
· Сentralized authentication via directory service;
· Network boot of diskless nodes that store personal data on server;
· High security and virus protection;
· Graphical interface on server (disabled by default).
· Special School Server images are ready to install to Hyper-V