The main OS for Ares Computers... and the bigger rest of the world
If there is enough interest we can start also an PPC branch. The audience may decide!
AROS is a wonderful OS (an opensource reimplementation of the classic Amiga OS). This means it is fast, and not only because of the small footprint it is very fast.
Many times faster than Linux with all its „lightweight“ desktops.
But why running one OS hosted on another? Doesn’t it slow down?
No! AROS hosted (here in form of AROS Broadway) uses less resources than any desktop manager for linux offering the same functionality.
So in fact it is faster. Especially on slow ARM systems AROS hosted will blow your mind.
What are the Benefits?
Benefits for AROS users of having Linux under the hood:
- more drivers (printers, scanners, NIC, Videocards and more
- you are able to run every Linux app including Wine (which enables the use of Windows (TM) apps without the need of Windows(TM))
- AROS - Developers can use Linux development tools
- AROS apps can utilize Linux tools to enhance there own functionalitiy.
- Single AROS processes can be forced to run on a single core.
Benefits for Linux users of having AROS on top Linux
- Fast desktop, maybe the fastest on LInux
- Allows you to run AROS apps and games too, most of them come from Amiga and have a low footprint. You will like how fast they are.
- Allows you to use JanusUAE - an integrated Amiga emulation... classic 68k Amiga apps can be used in coherency mode