nionet is a complete client/server VPN solution for raw ethernet tunnels.
Due to its object oriented architecture, it is possible to easily plug in new transports. So far it features UDP and DNS tunneling. Being an ethernet layer 2 bridge, several network segments can be connected transparently.
When used in an ISP environment, nionet allows per-user traffic-shaping and precise reporting of used bandwidth. On the fly load balancing is possible. nionet uses sqLite or MySQL for account storage; changes to accounts are immediately active.
- Compatible with all protocols that work over 802.3 Ethernet
- Uses mySQL or sqlite as backend for user accounts and session log
- Includes traffic accounting and billing for usage in an ISP environment
- Built-in traffic-shaper allows individual bandwidth-limits
- Values in the database can be changed in flight - e.g. new shaper-values will be activated during a running session. This allows dynamic load balancing.
- Built-In fragmentation - full Ethernet MTU of 1514 is tunnelled
- Transport via UDP or DNS
- Uses a virtual Ethernet adapter to be compatible with all existing software (Linux tap-driver, Windows NDIS driver)