if_rate measures and prints some statistics about the rate of traffic through network interfaces (like iptraf).
This is a simple program who read from /proc/net/dev and write some real-time statistics about the trafic on interfaces. You can use it free (and without waranties), i hope you will find it usefull and you will use it only for moral .
These are the known bugs:
- some interface drivers have bugs in the update of the counter, not my fault...
- some drivers have time counters updated at more than 1 second interval, to have exact averages you must set an interval much bigger than this interval (example: "./if_rate 10")
What's New in This Release:
· the rate is more accured, now I use gettimeofday() for exact time measuring.
· more space for gigabit counters
· accept argument - number of seconds between counters is settable