ds3, short for dialup service 3, is a modem sharing server for Linux/UNIX. It allows no direct access to the modem/ISDN-adapter.Instead it provides a text based interface which can be accessed with telnet or by a client.
Here are some key features of "ds3":
- Up to 251 users may use a line a the same time. The numer is limited by the number of sockets for each process.
- A user may block the line so nobody can dialout. This is useful if there is just one line and somebody wants to use the phone.
- The sysadmin may hangup the line at any time with the term command.
- Signals are used to start special jobs like fetch mail, news, the latest slashdot menu or sendmail.
- There three diffrent types of signals.
- signals which work only if the line is not in use
- signals which work only if we are online
- and signals which work all the time.
- Any user connected to the server may initiate signals.
- Signals could be emitted by the server if a interval was specified.