ds3, short for dialup service 3, is a modem sharing server for Linux/UNIX. It allows no direct access to the modem/ISDN-adapter.Instead it provides a text based interface which can be accessed with telnet or by a client.
Here are some key features of "ds3":
· Up to 251 users may use a line a the same time. The numer is limited by the number of sockets for each process.
· A user may block the line so nobody can dialout. This is useful if there is just one line and somebody wants to use the phone.
· The sysadmin may hangup the line at any time with the term command.
· Signals are used to start special jobs like fetch mail, news, the latest slashdot menu or sendmail.
· There three diffrent types of signals.
· signals which work only if the line is not in use
· signals which work only if we are online
· and signals which work all the time.
· Any user connected to the server may initiate signals.
· Signals could be emitted by the server if a interval was specified.