Wicd is an open source network manager for wired and wireless connections, which aims to provide a simple interface to connect to networks with a wide variety of settings.
Here are some key features of "Wicd":
· No Gnome dependencies (although it does require GTK), so it is easy to use in XFCE, Fluxbox, Openbox, Enlightenment, etc.
· Ability to connect to wired and wireless networks
· Profiles for each wireless network and wired network
· Many encryption schemes, some of which include WEP/WPA/WPA2 (and you can add your own)
· Remains compatible with wireless-tools
· Tray icon showing network activity and signal strength
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· You will now want to use the --python option to setup.py configure to make sure the right Python (python2.x) is used. With the Python 3 transition in progress, the lack of uniformity across distros made it difficult to find a solution that works everywhere. As a result, the python executable path can be set (for subprocesses launched by Wicd) with the --python option to setup.py configure, and patching of the shebang lines may be required if `which python` is not python2.x.
· If you handle translations in your packaging process, setup.py now needs 'pybabel' and 'xgettext' binaries. Please provide them during the build process.
· setup.py now accepts three more parameters: --dbus-service=, --systemd= and --logrotate=. Please set them accordingly to the paths of your distribution.
· (New) upstream author: David Paleino :)
· The translations are now handled by Rosetta, in Launchpad.
· Implemented support for wired connections needing authentication with wpa_supplicant (thanks Joe MacMahon!)
· Support 'Never show networks' (thanks Robin Becker!)
· Mask out sensitive information in the logfile (CVE-2012-0813)
· Now uses gtkbuilder instead of libglade
· Fixed bug in script macro expansion
· Fixed typo in EAP-fast template
· Applied 1 patch from Archlinux (thanks Rémy Oudompheng)Fixed Python 2.7 supportWorks if Python3 is the default Python
· Applied 14 patches from Debian (big thank you to everyone who contributed):Includes translations in source tarballImproved documentationFixed resolv.conf permissionsIgnore configparser errorsSeveral others, please see CHANGES for more details
· Proper localization of all the code has been put in place -- every part of the UIs and the daemon should be translated/translatable now!
· Fixed various bugs with 'unicode in ESSID' handling
· Implemented rfkill-support
· Generalized libc linking using ctypes' find_library()
· Fixed wireless connecting status message, now shows the correct ESSID
· Support wifi-channels with more than 2 digits
· Implemented in-GUI password hiding
· Implemented -t/--tray to only run the wicd-gtk tray icon
· Support alternative ifconfig output style