SARA, the Security Auditor's Research Assistant is a third generation network security analysis tool.
Here are some key features of "SARA":
- The first generation assistant, the Security Administrator's Tool for Analyzing Networks (SATAN) was developed in early 1995. It became the benchmark for network security analysis for several years. However, few updates were provided and the tool slowly became obsolete in the growing threat environment.
- Operates under Unix, Linux, MAC OS/X or Windows (through coLinux) OS'.
- Supports the FBI/SANS Top 20 Consensus (8 Oct 04).
- Can adapt to many firewalled environments.
- Support remote self scan and API facilities.
- Used for CIS benchmark initiatives
- Plug-in facility for third party apps
- SANS/ISTS Certified
- CVE standards support (20040901)
- Enterprise search module
- Standalone or daemon mode
- Free-use open SATAN oriented license
- Updated twice a month (we try)
- User extension support
- Based on the SATAN model