A reverse load balancer, HTTP proxy and SSL wrapper
Pound is a reverse load balancer, HTTP proxy and SSL wrapper. It proxies client HTTPS requests to HTTP backend servers, distributes the requests among several servers while keeping sessions, supports HTTP/1.1 requests even if the backend server(s) are HTTP/1.0, and sanitizes requests.
- a reverse-proxy: it passes requests from client browsers to one or more back-end servers.
- a load balancer: it will distribute the requests from the client browsers among several back-end servers, while keeping session information.
- an SSL wrapper: Pound will decrypt HTTPS requests from client browsers and pass them as plain HTTP to the back-end servers.
- an HTTP/HTTPS sanitizer: Pound will verify requests for correctness and accept only well-formed ones.
- a fail over-server: should a back-end server fail, Pound will take note of the fact and stop passing requests to it until it recovers.
- a request redirector: requests may be distributed among servers according to the requested URL.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- Support for SNI via multiple Cert directives.
- A pre-defined number of threads for better performance on small hardware.
- Translation of hexadecimal characters in the URL for pattern matching.
- Support for a "Disabled" directive in the configuration.