LooperNG is an intelligent event routing daemon. Primarily used for Network Management, this application can be used to accomplish a variety of tasks related to logging and alerting.
It is a modularised, rules-based event routing system that is flexible and easy to use. It is primarily deployed by network / security management groups as a central event gateway or an SNMP trap collection and forwarding station.
LooperNG events can be in the form of SNMP traps, Syslog Alerts, lines in a Log File, Sockets etc. Events can be received and generated such that an event can arrive in one form (e.g., SNMP) and forwarded in another form (e.g., Syslog). LooperNG can also receive events from systems like Nagios, Snort, Mon etc. and forward to other systems like a MySQL database, Netcool/OMNIbus, or just send an e-mail. Modules for new types of events can be easily written.
LooperNG was designed to improve on some of the limitations Looper (muthanna.com/looper). It is built completely from scratch with a cleaner more scalable architecture and is based on the Perl language.
Here are some key features of "LooperNG":
· SNMP Trap forwarding, exploding and rewriting (enhancing).
· Event generation for demos, debugging, troubleshooting etc.
· Event Enrichment and Escalation.
· Intelligent routing, rerouting and processing of events and alerts.
· Monitoring logfiles, syslog events, intrusion events etc.
· Forwarding alert history to databases, logfiles etc.
· Used as ad-hoc Netcool Probes.
· Used to replace HP Openview NNM's trap collection features.
· Centralize alerts in a LooperDB database.