jftpgw is an FTP proxy/gateway that uses the FTP protocol.
jftpgw is an FTP proxy/gateway that uses the FTP protocol (unlike those FTP proxies that fetch an FTP file but work as an http proxy). This application si good to make servers behind a firewall/NAT server (masquerading server) accessible or to allow users behind such solutions to transfer files to and from the outside of the LAN.
- jftpgw uses a powerful and flexible configuration model instead of cryptic commandline switches. See the page on the configuration for further details
- Regular users can run the proxy server on unprivileged ports as well
- jftpgw runs as a daemon or from the inetd/xinetd superserver.
- If run as root, it drops the privileges. (anybody familiar with writing programs run as root? I am not!)
- Active as well as passive FTP transfers (the mode between the client and the proxy may differ from the mode between proxy and real ftp server). You may specify port ranges to use for active and passive transfers. This accounts for ports jftpgw listens on as well as for source ports jftpgw uses when connecting to the server/client
- jftpgw is able to act as a transparent proxy. You may also configure the proxy to display the welcome message of the remote server you want to connect to
- You can cache transfers from an FTP server. This is pretty nice if several computers fetch the same file from an FTP server (e.g. if you're updating your distribution)
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!