Grdc is a remote desktop client based on GTK+ and for the GNOME desktop environment.
The whole story started from my new netbook Eee PC. I bought it and installed Debian on it. I really enjoyed it until I realized that the default installation of the RDP client 'tsclient' on Debian is quite annoying for me:
* The Eee PC has very small screen resolution, but it won't allow me to scroll when I am connecting to my desktop. I can move the window by pressing Alt, but I have to disable capturing all WM key bindings, and it means no Alt-Tab in remote desktop. This made me crazy.
* In fullscreen mode, it occupies all my virtual desktops and provides no control. I can do nothing else when I am connecting to my desktop. When I roll my desktop cube, RDP is in all sides.
* I had great experience with Krdc, which is part of the KDE project. But in order to install Krdc in Gnome desktop, I have to install tons of additional dependencies; This is obvious not a good news for a small netbook user, or a Gnome fan.
* Remote desktop is one of the most frequently used application to me in my netbook; I have to look for a perfect solution.
Well, if you happen to be in the same boat as me, I hope this is the place you are looking for!
Here are some key features of "Grdc":
The Grdc main program:
· A pure GTK+ 2.0 application!
· Maintain a list of remote desktop files for most frequently used servers
· Make quick connections by directly putting in the server name
· Remote desktops with higher resolutions are scrollable in both window and fullscreen mode
· Viewport fullscreen mode: remote desktop automatically scrolls when the mouse moves over the screen edge.
· Floating toolbar in fullscreen mode, allows you to switch between modes, toggle keyboard grabbing, minimize, etc.
· RDP protocol is supported by rdesktop; VNC protocol is supported by libvncclient.
The Grdc Gnome applet:
· A Gnome desktop applet for easy-access of Grdc main features
· List all remote desktop files and make the connection easily
· Support remote desktop files grouping feature
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Add Avahi support using libavahi-ui
· Option tstart a connection in view-only mode
· Enhanced command line arguments tsupport new grdc-applet features
· Black Scrolled Viewport border (Nikolay Botev)
· Better mouse cursor (both server and client side) (Nikolay Botev)
· Keyboard mapping option for rdesktop (RDP)
· VNC Chat feature
· Fix VNC desktop resize bug (Nikolay Botev)
· VNC Beep feature (Nikolay Botev)
· A SFTP client (stand-alone or integrate with SSH tunnel)
· SSH terminal feature integrated with SSH tunnel
· Add RDP options: Share folder, Startup program/path and Advanced arguments
· New Preference option Default View Mode
· Better default window size tmatch server resolution
· New VNC advanced option: Horizontal and Vertical scale
· Saved password is now encrypted
· Quick Connect protocol sub menus and connection protocol icons
· Support VNC keyboard mapping
· Fix VNC peer disconnect bug (Alex Chateau)
· Greek translation added by Elias Sofronas