Avahi is a framework for Multicast DNS Service Discovery on Linux.
It allows programs to publish and discover services and hosts running on a local network with no specific configuration.
For example, you can plug into a network and instantly find printers to print to, files to look at, and people to talk to.
Here are some key features of "Avahi":
· Licensed under LGPL
· IPv4 and IPv6 support
· DBUS interface
· Drops all priviliges and runs as user "avahi"
· Embeddable mDNS stack (i.e. mDNS stack available as library)
· Support for loading static service definitions from XML fragments
· Interface to GLIBC NSS using [WWW]nss-mdns
· Ability to reflect mDNS traffic between multiple subnets
· Ability to configure a unicast DNS server automatically from server data published on the LAN
· DBUS 0.3x or newer (optional, for IPC with client applications)
· Linux 2.4 or 2.6 with IP multicasting enabled
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This is a bugfix release and fixes a minor security issue.