bcnu is a web based system management tool.
bcnu can be managed from a central unix system, with all agents, scripts and config files distributed from one point using the supplied shell scripts. It will soon be possible to configure agents from a web browser.
bcnu has a very open architecture. The agents are currently bourne shell scripts, but can be any program. There are a set of standard shell functions available to make interfacing with bcnu very easy. It is a simple matter to modify existing scripts to talk to bcnu. These will have all the benefits of bcnu agents, e.g. logging, resending, proxy etc. I would be happy to receive your agents to include with the distribution.
bcnu has been designed to be very simple to implement. By default it is configured to make very little impact on the managed system. Logging levels can be set for each agent separately. It is possible to set an agent only to log in the event of an error.
Monitoring of network devices can be spread over multiple machines, all may have different checking and logging intervals. e.g. you may wish to check all web servers every 5 minutes, application servers every 10 minutes, but mail or print servers only every 30 minutes. This is easy with bcnu due to the flexible agent architecture.
Here are some key features of "bcnu":
· easy to use
· simple agent based monitoring with flexible thresholds
· multiple views of the same information
· includes agent scheduler for total flexibility
· automatic logging and resend of messages
· discover agent to build a picture of your system automatically
· built in web server for static pages
· powerful cgi access to data including multiple views and historical queries
· free!! (Distributed under the terms of the Artistic licence)
Standard agents include:
· network monitor, ping, http, ftp , mail, lpd, oracle etc
· intelligent log file scanning for messages and warnings
· checking for required processes to be running
· filesystem mount status and space usage
· processor/memory usage and system up time
Special agents include:
· volume management checks for solaris,aix and hpux
· system availibility
Admin agents include:
· logging and resending of agent data
· agent proxy
· alerts sent by mail, pager, win32popup, web, Perl/TK window or custom program
· report of all errors and warnings
· self monitoring and alerting agent (runs on another system)
· discovery of systems to be managed
· optional static web page built to show status of all systems
Contributed agents include:
· Critical file checker - checks to see if important files have been changed
· oracle table space monitor
· check oracle backup log agent
What's New in This Release:
· The setup utility has been improved to make installation easier.
· The information display in the logs, vmgt, fs, and procs agents has been improved.
· Various new contributed agents and changes have been added.
· The C Sources have been tidied up with function prototypes, etc.
· Better customization options are now available.
· A daemon restart option has been added.
· Other minor bugfixes and cosmetic enhancements have been made.