Crank is a project to provide a GUI toolkit to facilitate the breaking of cryptosystems. Initial focus is on the cryptanalysis of monoalphabetic substitution ciphers
These are some generic installation instructions.
The `configure' shell script attempts to guess correct values for various system-dependent variables used during compilation. It uses those values to create a `Makefile' in each directory of the package. It may also create one or more `.h' files containing system-dependent definitions. Finally, it creates a shell script `config.status' that you can run in the future to recreate the current configuration, a file `config.cache' that saves the results of its tests to speed up reconfiguring, and a file `config.log' containing compiler output (useful mainly for debugging `configure').
If you need to do unusual things to compile the package, please try to figure out how `configure' could check whether to do them, and mail diffs or instructions to the address given in the `README' so they can be considered for the next release. If at some point `config.cache' contains results you don't want to keep, you may remove or edit it.
The file `configure.in' is used to create `configure' by a program called `autoconf'. You only need `configure.in' if you want to change it or regenerate `configure' using a newer version of `autoconf'.
What's New in This Release:
· Added heuristic log window
· heuristic_hillclimbing produces log messages
· Main window is ghosted out better during heuristic
· Icons placed in notebook headers
· The componant GUI no longer redraws everything after a rebuild_componant_gui() call
· heuristic componants now pass out the fitness to improvement_found(), rather than let it be recalculated
· converted all "floats" to "doubles"
· added heuristic_simulated_annealing
· 'default' field added to gui_generic
· guile interface introduced via SWIG
· dump_/instantiate_ parameters rewrote to produce scheme code
· Introduced patches to group together settings