install4j project is a powerful multi-platform Java installer builder that generates native installers and application launchers for Java applications. install4j excels in its ease of use, its tight integration into the target platforms and its flexible JRE management and deployment options.
Here are some key features of "install4j":
freely define your distribution tree
· In each directory of the distribution tree you can include the contents of entire directories or single files from arbitrary directories on your disk. The definition view and the results view give you full control over the files that will be distributed by your installers.
handle platform-specific differences
· install4j offers convenient include/exclude mechanisms that let you tailor your distributions in a platform specific manner.
define file rights for Unix, Linux and Mac OS X
· For each element of the distribution tree, you can define custom access rights for installation on Unix-like platforms.
define a fine-grained uninstallation policy
· For each element of the distribution tree, you can determine whether you want the uninstaller to remove it or not.
define the overwrite policy
· For each element of the distribution tree, you can set a different overwrite police that determines what install4j will do when it has to overwrite files during an installation.
define installation components
· You can define groups of files and directories that constitute separate installation components. You can offer the user to select only certain components for installation.
What's New in This Release:
· This release adds a new code editor with code completion and a code gallery with sample scripts.
· The distribution tree now supports separate file sets.
· Auto-update functionality and custom installer applications have been added.
· The configuration of screens and actions has been redesigned.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved elevation of privileges on Windows and Mac OS X
· Major improvements for installer variables, compiler variables and i18n messages
· More flexible and usable IDs
· Improvements for actions that operate on files
· Launcher integration for custom installer applications
· Improvements for the auto-update functionality
· Extensive support for Windows users accounts
· Improvements for service actions
· Improved handling of custom code and resources
· Corruption detection and checksum verification for installers and downloaded components
· Support for Windows processes
· Improvements for file distribution
· Improvements for JRE bundling
· Many new actions
· Improvements for form components
· Layout groups and tabbed panes in form screens
· More flexible configuration of installer applications
· Merging of other projects allow the modularization of your installers
· Index pane for the installer that is configurable in the install4j IDE and via the API
· Support for creating Debian archives