A tool that can be used to install programs in a safe and undoable way.
Urpkg works by creating a new user for each package it has to install. The package is then installed with the privilege of the new user. This prevents a new package from overwriting file from another package for example.
- Can be used with any installation methods, e.g not only a Makefile
- Avoids a dangerous root installation of a program by restricting privileges to what is effectively needed
- Let you decide where you want to allow packages to have write access
- Let you uninstall any program
- Could also be useful to create binary packages in an automated way. For example, it can create Slackware packages
- Tested on LFS and Slackware 12.1, but should work on other distributions as well.
- Free and open-source software under the GNU Public License
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- Fixed a bug that would remove directories even though they were not empty.