OpenPKG is a flexible and powerful software packaging facility, OpenPKG eases installation and administration of Unix software across several platforms. It primarily targets the Unix platforms FreeBSD, Linux and Solaris, but is portable across mostly all modern Unix flavors.
Consolidating different vendor approaches into a unified architecture, it assists in administration of large networks previously complicated by nonconformant systems. OpenPKG leverages proven technologies like Red Hat Package Manager (RPM)and neatly provides an additional system layer on top of the operating system.
It is a fully self-contained with minimal external dependencies(no RPM pre-installation required), and installs itself by means of a tricky bootstrapping procedure with minimal operating system intrusion. OpenPKG especially supports multiple installation instances on the same system.
Here are some key features of "OpenPKG Enterprise":
· Portable across major Unix platforms.
· Available for FreeBSD 4.11/5.4/6.0/7.0, NetBSD 2.0, Sun Solaris 8/9/10, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1, Fedora Core 4, RedHat Enterprise Linux 4, Novell SUSE Linux 9.3/10, Gentoo Linux 1.12.0, Mandriva Linux 10.2.
· Already known to work for IBM AIX 5.1, HP HPUX 11.11.
· Release 2.5 consists of 579 packages.
· Entirely based on Open Source software technology.
· Operating System interference minimized.
· Streamlined software packaging.
· Easy installation, updating and deinstallation of packages.
· Bundled with useful and secure package preconfigurations.
· Includes an abstracted and powerful run-command facility.
· Virtual hosting through multiple instances on a single system.
· Proxy packages for reusing packages across instances.
· Build-time package variations for maximum flexibility.
· Foundation to build self-contained environments.